It was an amazing day. I was blessed to be able to get up early and sit back and watch the whole day’s proceedings. Despite some desperate circumstances in the nation and the world currently, I ended the day feeling uplifted. Here is an off-the-top-of-my-head list of things that made me happy today.
10. The inauguration of a president who “breaks the mold” of past presidents
9. The sight of politicians who opposed Obama in the elections sitting and celebrating his inauguration
8. The respect shown to George W. Bush for his years of service
7. The Obama girls looking so sweet
6. President Obama’s concern after Senator Kennedy was taken ill at the luncheon
5. The funny moment of flubbing the oath of office–a reminder that even presidents and supreme court justices are human
4. That really cool car
3. The fact they made the media ride in flat bed trucks that looked like they came right out of the cotton field for the parade
2. The sight of Marine One flying over the mall
1. Over two million Americans of all race, age, gender and political inclination gathered PEACEFULLY to witness the change of leadership
I am so proud of all of our people. Not everyone voted for Obama. Not everyone agrees with his policies. Not everyone was happy with George Bush as a leader. And yet my understanding is that police did not make a single arrest in inauguration related activities, despite emotions running high because of the turbulent times.